05 April 2011

U2 - Miss Sarajevo

The idea for this post came up during a lesson. I was helping one of my students, who is going to São Paulo for U2's concert - the 360º tour - and thought: OMG! Why don't I post sth about U2 in the blog?

It's no secret I'm absolutely crazy about U2. And I'm almost dying I can't go to their show. U know, neither money nor anywhere to stay. Guess the tickets have even been sold out.

Anyway, U2's got this political vein which so much attracts me; they're a worldwide known band which uses their influence for fighting for causes like human rights and the end of international conflicts. Nobody does it better. That's why I've chosen this song - Miss Sarajevo.

The song Miss Sarajevo was based on a documentary of the same name, which is about a beauty pageant held during war-torn Sarajevo, Bosnia. The contest is only the most symbolic statement among the storm of protests that happened during the war. Like the others, it was a way of sending a message: life can triumph against death.



Therefore, take some minutes to watch the video. It was recorded live during the Vertigo Tour in 2005 and is my favourite version of the song. Pay special attention to Bono's speech before he sings - "we'd like to turn our song into a prayer. And the prayer is, that we don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster." Also, note the contrasts in the lyrics and the screen showing the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in the end. Guess u're gonna like it very much.


Let me (us) know about your opinion and remember: I always answer to your comments!

XXX
Sabrina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabrina!!!
    I believe that Bono Vox and all U2´musicians gave to whole world a great exemple of solidarity and love. They are much more than a famous band:they ask for attention and attitude about Human Rights and Violence. It´s time for take measures ,while is possible.
    Kisses
    Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo, I absolutely agree with you.
    Thanks for participating! : )
    XXX

    ReplyDelete